Over the last eight years as a celiac, I have seen major changes to my overall gut health and digestive tract. Across the board, my body has seen positive results when maintaining a gluten free diet. I've been lighter on my feet, less moody, and seen improvements to my immune system, getting sick less frequently which has been incredible.
I have, however, learned that I need to double my normal fiber intake and drink more fluids than ever before to maintain regularity and balance.
One of my favorite ways to hit my daily fiber goal (aside from eating Quest Bars) is to snack on chickpeas. Garbanzo Beans, lovingly referred to as chickpeas are a killer source of protein and fiber. 1 cup of these bad boys has 12g of Fiber!
I love to toss them in salads, pair them with cooked vegetables, and just eat them by the handful when they are roasted - like you would a handful of nuts or crackers. Roasted chickpeas are perfect on the go and are fun to season to your liking.
Below, I've shared my three favorite ways to roast and snack on chickpeas -- ways I hope you'll enjoy, too.
Roasted Chickpeas (Three Ways)
Roasting Instructions -
- First and foremost, I should note that I buy my chickpeas dried and in bulk, because homegirls is on a budget. So before I even get started, I dump the amount I want to prep - usually like 1/2 cup of dried chickpeas - and soak them in water (enough to cover) for a few hours until they expand and absorb all of the water.
- From here I rinse off the chickpeas and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Then, you can go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, you'll line a cookie sheet with either foil or parchment paper, and evenly spread the dried beans on throughout and sprinkle EVOO over the chickpeas. ***
- Bake for 30 minutes (or until the are crunchy)
- After baking, quickly transfer to a bowl and mix with the 2 TBL olive oil or coconut oil.
- Then season as you please and mix them well! You can even throw them in a bag and shake them all up if you want.
***With the honey cinnamon flavor, after they go in the oven you coat with honey, and then you can put the beans back into the oven for 5 minutes or so to caramelize them.
Seasoning Blends -
1. Spicy Chickpeas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
2. Honey Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
3. Ranch Chickpeas
- ¼ cup Black Pepper
- 1½ cup Parsley Flakes
- ½ cup Garlic Salt
- 2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Granulated Garlic
- ¾ cup Granulated Onion
- 2 tbsp Dill